[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Sidewalks as separate ways

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Fri Mar 25 13:47:01 GMT 2011

I think it would be useful to have a JOSM plugin which works more
generically, such as working with the associatedStreet or proposed
street relation to not only associate sidewalks with streets, but
everything else encompassed by those relations. It could have sets of
rules which would enable automatically applying the sidewalk roles to
ways tagged with footway=sidewalk (if you even need a role, since it's
evident from the tagging of the constituent ways).

Another tool could examine all footway=sidewalk ways, and highlight
which aren't part of a relation. That same "lint" tool could highlight
sidewalks which are likely incorrectly associated with a road, based
on distance and other measures.

Another tool could analyze the geometry of sidewalks and roads (using
some measure of parallel-ness and distance), and propose pairings,
which upon review could automatically create relations.

When there is sufficient interest from both mappers and developers,
these tools will be created. If the interest isn't there then they
won't.

-Josh