[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Sidewalks as separate ways

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Fri Mar 25 15:07:12 GMT 2011

Er - I'm confused.

We've now got:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Sidewalk
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Sidewalk_as_separate_way
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/sloped_curb
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/kerb
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Hanska/Sidewalk
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Hanska/Sidewalk_old
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:footway
and probably others.

People were suggesting incorporating features of:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:associatedStreet
(which redirects to Proposed features/House numbers/Karlsruhe Schema)

And in addition to the discussion on this list there's a parallel
discussion taking place here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Sidewalk

I can understand
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Sidewalk
(it's what I do now, although with "footway=" rather than "sidewalk=")

What I don't yet understand is the workflow associated with the
"Sidewalk_as_separate_way" proposal.  Through the window I can see a
road which has a (currently unmapped) footpath/sidewalk along both sides
for part of its length and one side after that.  Perhaps someone could
explain (under the "Sidewalk_as_separate_way" proposal) I would map
that?  How do I indicate where the footpath/sidewalk is actually
immediately adjacent to the road and where it isn't?  What other ways or
relations (in addition to the road) do I need to create?

Cheers,
Andy