[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Sidewalks as separate ways

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 22:31:38 GMT 2011

2011/3/25 Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com>:
> I agree, it is confusing. I've used the separate way method quite
> extensively in a suburban (subdivision) area. Perhaps I could create
> some illustrations, though since I'm not much of an artist it will
> probably be just screenshots. In the meantime you can see my area
> here:
> http://osm.org/go/ZZcEbGicI-

IMHO this is an example why you shouldn't do it: routing for
pedestrians will get worse (unless you attach the sidewalks with a
relation to the road and make the router understand, that the name of
the sidewalk is the one of the road, and that you can cross anytime).

cheers,
Martin

PS: E.g. here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.791466&lon=-77.303705&zoom=18&layers=M