[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Sidewalks as separate ways

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Fri Mar 25 15:53:30 GMT 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:07:12 +0000, SomeoneElse wrote:

> What I don't yet understand is the workflow associated with the
> "Sidewalk_as_separate_way" proposal.  Through the window I can see a
> road which has a (currently unmapped) footpath/sidewalk along both sides
> for part of its length and one side after that.  Perhaps someone could
> explain (under the "Sidewalk_as_separate_way" proposal) I would map
> that?  How do I indicate where the footpath/sidewalk is actually
> immediately adjacent to the road and where it isn't?  What other ways or
> relations (in addition to the road) do I need to create?

I would map them as three ways (warning, ASCII art below):

   *  |
   *  |
|  *  |
|  *  |
|--x--|
|  *  |
|  *  |

The "|" are the two sidewalks, the "*" is the main road.

Way marked with *:

  highway=residential (or whatever)

Ways marked with |:

  highway=footway
  footway=sidewalk

In the example above I've also put a crossing, the "--x--" line. This would be
tagged as:

  highway=footway
  footway=crossing
  crossing=* (depending whether it has traffic lights, is/isn't marked, [..])

For compatibility reasons with the current approach, I'd also tag the "x" node
as:

  highway=crossing

The relation is optional, but if you wanted to, you can put the road marked with
"*" into an associatedStreet/street relation (with no role/"street" role), and
the sidewalks ("|") with role "sidewalk".

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino