[Tagging] landuse:illegal and illegal:yes/no

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Mar 29 18:50:24 BST 2011

On 3/29/11 12:14 PM, Bill Ricker wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Richard Welty<rwelty at averillpark.net>  wrote:
>> farmers do occasionally shift the boundaries between different
>> crops, so like anything else on a map, this is subject to bit rot.
> any till&  plant farmer who doesn't rotate his crops regularly needs
> to go back to Aggie school.

i wasn't referring to rotation here, as Martin didn't appear to be
specifying
tracking crops, only identifying distinct fields.

i do agree on the rotation, my family's land in Iowa is in strict
corn/soybean
rotation. but per the bit rot issue, we did adjust some boundaries
within the
past 2 years. or else, a land holder buys an additional 100 acre field and
adjusts the rotation to match their operational requirements

crop=corn
crop=corn:soybeans

you could record this easily enough, but like i say, bit rot will set in and
it's unclear what value we gain from this in normal mapping of the here
and now. for historical mapping, it's important in say, battlefield
visualization,
where troops attacking through head-high corn are distinctly different from
troops attacking through shin-high soybeans or waist-high sorghum

richard