[Tagging] parking spaces limited to cars (no busses, trucks, etc.)

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Sun May 1 01:10:35 BST 2011

Am 01.05.2011 um 01:27 schrieb David Murn:

> On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 00:56 +0200, Stefan Bethke wrote:
>
>>> Maybe the alternative is to instead tag that its only suitable for
>>> single-tracked vehicles (ie. access=no motorbike=yes) rather than trying
>>> to figure out what isnt allowed?  From how I read the discussion that
>>> seems to be the problem?
>>
>> My concrete problem is a parking lot that only cars are allowed to use,
>> but not trucks nor busses (technically, parking is allowed for two
>> track vehicles with no trailers, not exceeding a gross mass of 3.5
>> tonnes).
>
> A simple tag would be hgv, which I think technically means a gross mass
> exceeding 4.5, but close enough.  You dont have to tag every possible
> access option, if you have hgv=no then its pretty obvious that access is
> forbidden for heavy vehicles.  Im fairly sure hgv also includes buses,
> although you can use psv for buses if you want it explicitly.

hgv=no might or might not be understood to include busses, but it certainly would not imply cars with a trailer, or small caravans.  The logic described in the Wiki for the access tags specifically allows for the general=no, specific=yes combination, so I'd prefer to find a tag that specifically describes cars. Why do we have a tag for every kind of large or small vehicle, but not one for a regular car?

I certainly do not insist on creating tags that exactly mirror the German legal taxonomy, but being able to distiguish cars from other vehicles must be useful elsewhere?

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811