[Tagging] Tags for neighborhoods / subdivisions

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed May 11 10:26:19 BST 2011

2011/5/11 Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com>:
> It's been about a month now, and I've gotten some feedback from the
> talk page. My thoughts are that we either:
>
> * reuse the existing place=suburb (as the wiki definition seems like
> it might work)
> * use the new place=neighbourhood

yes, you can use suburb for all kinds of subdivisions, but it is not
really helpful for other then find something for a given name. In the
case of an actual hierarchy ("is contained in") or a quantitative
distinction ([neighbour hood] "is smaller then" [suburb]) it would be
desirable to have this relation in the database as well. So
place=neighbourhood would be preferable to suburb for mapping
neighbourhoods.

> Either way I think we need to allow for admin_level or something
> similar to permit nesting of neighborhoods. Any more feedback is
> appreciated, particularly in regards to this latter point regarding
> nesting.

Yes, I also would like to have an approach to do nested hierarchies as
well as parallel systems for "sub-settlement places". In Rome there is
at least 4 different systems of toponyms/subdivisions (plus other
toponyms for various places), which apparently sometimes do overlap or
not, and are there for historic reasons besides the actual current
administrational divisions. I feel that mapping all of them with
different place values does seem reasonable.

To give you an idea this is an overview in Italian:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suddivisioni_di_Roma  (the English
version concentrates on administration and is leaving out a lot of
aspects). We already talked about this locally, but did not yet move
towards a proposal.

cheers,
Martin