[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - area:highway

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:36:04 BST 2011

2011/5/11 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>

> On 5/11/2011 11:15 AM, Simone Saviolo wrote:
>
>> 2011/5/11 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com <mailto:neroute2 at gmail.com
>> >>

>>    On 5/11/2011 10:47 AM, Flaimo wrote:
>>
>>        you misread that. because if its imprecise definition, there are
>>        still
>>        heated discussions on how detailed landuses should be mapped. some
>>        leave out the areas of the streets, some don't. all i wanted to
>>        state
>>        out is, that this isn't a part of the area:highway proposal. if you
>>        want to draw it over landuses you can do so, but if you are part of
>>        the other fraction you can connect it to landuses. I'm not taking
>>        sides with this proposal.
>>

>>    But does anyone stop the landuse at the edge of the main roadway,
>>    including the sidewalks within it?
>>

>> I do. My residential, industrial and farm landuses are outlined by the
>> sidewalks or by the road. I know other mappers do this too, and they
>> usually exclude sidewalks too.
>>

> Wait, so you include sidewalks in the landuse but exclude the main roadway?
> That's what I asked.

No, wait. I put landuse up to the border of the "property", let's say up to
the fence; then there (may be) the sidewalk; then there's the road (I know
that "road" legally includes the sidewalks too; I'm using it here with the
commonly used meaning). The residential, industrial, whatever landuse stops
before the sidewalk: the sidewalk is NOT part of a residential landuse, for
instance.

I understand it's debatable whether to include the sidewalk into the
area:highway object. I think it should ideally be given a different object.
If we agree that sidewalks should be mapped as linear highway=footway (I
know there's discussion on this point, I'm making a supposition), then we
should have two different area features (or multipolys or whatever), one
with area:highway=unclassified/residential/whatever and another one with
area:highway=footway. In simpler terms, I wouldn't use area:highway to cover
the whole right-of-way area.

Ciao,

Simone