[Tagging] Tags for neighborhoods / subdivisions

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed May 11 20:00:34 BST 2011

On 11/05/2011 20:28, Josh Doe wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I agree that they're important to map. But they're not administrative units,
>> and shouldn't be mapped as such.
> How do you suggest doing this without breaking the way people expect a
> service like Nominatim to operate? You're proposing that I remove
> admin_level=* from Burke, but that is the "city" that everyone in
> Burke uses for their mailing address, and is indeed what the USPS
> uses. The only strict administrative unit in my area is Fairfax
> County, which is a place with over a million people. Whether we like
> it or not admin_level is used for more than just strict administrative
> units. We either need to admit it and keep on using it, or create
> something else and change the many existing uses to the new key.
Tagging something wilfully and deliberately wrongly in order to obtain
the desired visible results is called "tagging for the renderer" and is
almost universally frowned upon - see [1]... If Nominatim doesn't know
to look at other objects than boundary=admin etc, then wouldn't it be
better to fix Nominatim?

If it's an administrative unit, give it an admin_level. If it's not,
don't - let's call a spade a spade and tag it like it is. If Burke is
not a City in the administrative sense, what *is* it? Which organisation
decided (exactly) where the boundaries are and has the power to change
them? If it's USPS, could we tag it boundary=postal_city, name=Burke,
source:name=USPS?

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging_for_the_renderer

Colin