[Tagging] Tags for neighborhoods / subdivisions

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Wed May 11 20:28:22 BST 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Tagging something wilfully and deliberately wrongly in order to obtain the
> desired visible results is called "tagging for the renderer" and is almost
> universally frowned upon - see [1]... If Nominatim doesn't know to look at
> other objects than boundary=admin etc, then wouldn't it be better to fix
> Nominatim?
>
> If it's an administrative unit, give it an admin_level. If it's not, don't -
> let's call a spade a spade and tag it like it is. If Burke is not a City in
> the administrative sense, what *is* it? Which organisation decided (exactly)
> where the boundaries are and has the power to change them? If it's USPS,
> could we tag it boundary=postal_city, name=Burke, source:name=USPS?

I'm all for creating something else, however I didn't tag it this way,
this is how the TIGER places import was done, so this affects at least
the entire US. At least in the US, large counties are often the lowest
administrative level, however it's critical to include lower level
"place" boundaries. And it's not just a matter of fixing Nominatim, we
need to come up with a new admin_level like tag.

Can we begin discussion of this? A "place_level" that allows for
unincorporated areas, neighborhoods, and the like.