[Tagging] Tags for neighborhoods / subdivisions

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Wed May 11 20:33:31 BST 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:

> I'm all for creating something else, however I didn't tag it this way,
> this is how the TIGER places import was done, so this affects at least
> the entire US.

Saying it's the way it was done in the single worst import we've done
in the project doesn't help make it any more appealing.

The right solution isn't to look to the US Census or other
organizations, but to go back to basics and try to find a scheme that
works for OSM.

> Can we begin discussion of this? A "place_level" that allows for
> unincorporated areas, neighborhoods, and the like.

I don't think that's the right solution because that's precisely what
brought about a discussion a few months back where NE2 wanted to
delete Silver Spring, Bethesda, and a whole lot of other cities and
towns in the US.

Political boundaries aren't the most important thing, certainly
they're less important than actual usage.

- Serge