[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - area:highway

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu May 12 18:03:34 BST 2011

Stefan Bethke wrote:
> Am 12.05.2011 um 10:50 schrieb Tobias Knerr:
>> * I assume that most road shapes are adequately described with just a
>> single outline area for the entire road, and no one has provided a
>> counter example yet.
>
> Ever been to any city?  Should I post photos just looking out the window here?  What examples to you need?  What is this assumption of yours based on?

I wondered how I could implement this, and drafted a possible solution:
http://tobias-knerr.de/temp/Road%20area%20draft.pdf

Then I tried to imagine situations that wouldn't work well with that
solution, only found ones that I considered rare, and most of these were
only of minor interest to me anyway. That was how I arrived at that
assumption.

Therefore, what I'm still hoping for are practical examples along the
lines of "the following situation is relatively common in [Someplace],
you cannot describe it without separate areas for sidewalks, and it's
important for applications to understand that situation because ...".

-- Tobias Knerr