[Tagging] Tagging HOV lanes that have strict times (and are completely separate from main highway)

James Mast rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com
Fri May 13 16:41:35 BST 2011

I was just about to create some new relations for the I-279/I-579 HOV lanes to reflect the times that they are open and closed.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/penndot/districts/district11.nsf/traffic_HOV_hours?OpenForm

That shows the current times when they are open and when Outbound is restricted to HOV and when it's unrestricted (to help get people out of town from PNC Park, Heinz Field, and Consol Energy Center after events).
NOTE:  The "outbound" 3:00 PM start time is incorrect on that page, it's really 4:00 PM.  That's what all signage posted in the field shows and matches the end of the "closed" time. (I should really e-mail PennDOT about that or twitter them....)

As of right now, I can figure out that I would at least need 10 relations to do this correctly (5 for I-279's segment and 5 for I-579's segment). (1 Inbound; 1 closed time; 1 Outbound HOV2; 1 Outbound unrestricted; 1 weekend)x2  Also might need a few extras for the ramps too (that aren't at the end points).

Also, I was planning on using "outbound" and "inbound" for the "roles" since that what PennDOT and everybody else around here mention for the directions (even though I-279/I-579 are both "North/South" Interstates).  Do you think the routers (like MapQuest) will have any problem with that info or should I go with "north/south"?

So, has anybody else dealt with HOV lanes yet? I did notice this "proposal" (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/hov_access), but it was "rejected" back in 2008. I was also thinking that "hov=2+" (or should it just be "hov=2") inside of the relation would work to describe the minimal persons needed to be in the car.

So, any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.  Thanks.