[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tunnel ADR Category

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun May 15 23:22:31 BST 2011

On 15/05/2011 23:50, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On 5/15/2011 5:35 PM, Colin Smale wrote:

>>> Why is this in the tunnel namespace? Theoretically these could also
>>> apply to non-tunnels.
>> Not in the case of ADR.. This classification scheme is specifically for
>> tunnels, so I thought it would make a good attribute of the tunnel.
>
> SO it's impossible to use the ADR classification to ban certain loads
> from a non-tunnel?
As far as transport links are concerned, only tunnels are classified by
UNECE according to some kind of system with uniform signage (in
participating territories!).

The hazardous loads are classified as well, principally by means of the
UN Substance Number, the amount being carried, and the way the stuff is
packaged (as you would expect from the UN the full set of rules are
rather more complex). There are rules which determine the minimum tunnel
classification required for a given load. If the load requires category
C, then it will not be allowed through category D/E tunnels.

>> It is possible that other schemes might have a broader scope. Where
>> would you put it?
>
> Why not adr_category?

Just trying to keep the namespaces a bit tidy by grouping related
tags... I am looking for a tag to hold this information and what it is
called doesn't bother me much, although I do try to apply some data
modelling discipline.