[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - highway=motorway_junction Tagging Extension

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Sun May 22 08:28:40 BST 2011

On Sun, 22 May 2011 02:38:48 -0400, James Mast wrote:

> I've created a proposal for an extension of the sub-tags (ref=* and
> exit_to=*) of highway=motorway_junction.
> This is to help people on tagging highway ramps that split farther down after
> they leave the main highway.  It will also help deal with other motorways
> splitting off of the main motorway when both are tagged as motorways (instead
> of motorway and motorway_link).

Why not reusing

  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:destination_sign

?

If the intent of your proposal is to aid routers, that kind of relation does
exactly that. I admit it's not widespread, but I've used it a couple of times
and seems useful (now that I think of it, we should expand traffic_sign=* to
include more than "city_limit").

Kindly,
David

--