[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - highway=motorway_junction Tagging Extension

James Mast rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com
Sun May 29 00:26:18 BST 2011

First off, sorry it's taken me this long to respond to you (been out of town and spotty Internet access).

I don't think the "relation:destination_sign" will work for this is because here in the US, we've been putting what exactly it shown on the BGS's (Big Green Signs) that the DOT's post for the ramps.  That "relation:destination_sign" might work for the other "minor" signs for other locations that are not posted on the exit signs that have signs posted, but that's not what we're talking about here.

I don't know if you saw my previous e-mail to the Tagging group titled "Tagging split exit ramps‏" a week ago, but that's what prompted me to create this new proposal for the "expansion" of the current tagging scheme for "highway=motorway_junction".  If you have seen that e-mail talk, you would see this proposal at least has merit in North America since we have a lot of exits that split (and I'm not talking about right when intersecting a road so you can make turns).  Here's the examples I provided in that e-mail again: "One such example would be Exit #1B-1C (old #7A-7B) on I-279 here in Pittsburgh, PA.  (Google StreetView examples from when the exits were still #7A & #7B: http://goo.gl/maps/ogTB & http://goo.gl/maps/kEqY)"  This is what this proposal is for.  These are still considered fully fledged interchanges (motorway_junctions).  Completely different from the "relation:destination_sign" which works with at-grade intersections (or also for signs that mention extra info like brown or smaller green signs here [like this: http://goo.gl/maps/220D - #5C now #69C (I-376) and #7A now #1B] in the USA).

I hope I have answered your question fully.  If not, please let me know.

-- James