[Tagging] Residential gardens: deprecate leisure=garden, suggest alternative

Vincent Pottier vpottier at gmail.com
Mon May 23 13:57:05 BST 2011

Le 23/05/2011 14:17, Craig Wallace a écrit :
> On 23/05/2011 12:15, Andrew Chadwick (lists) wrote:
>> I'm suggesting that we remove the language on
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dgarden which recommends
>> leisure=garden for tagging private residential gardens. The talk page
>> entry is at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:leisure%3Dgarden
>> and I welcome your comments!
>>
>> This mini-proposal suggests A) removing the language from the first and
>> second English-language paragraph describing residential gardens, and B)
>> suggesting
>>
>>      landuse=residential
>>      residential=garden
>>
>> as an alternative tagging scheme. My rationale for doing this:
>
> I agree with all this for not using leisure=garden.
>
> Though I think it would be simpler to just tag them as
> residential=garden, without the landuse tag.
> Usually you would have landuse=residential around the whole area, then
> map individual gardens and houses etc within that.
>
> No need to use two tags when one will say just as much.
Hum ! Interesting.

I imagine we could map a large area with a landuse=residential, and
inside, in micromapping, polygons with residential=garden.
It would avoid having several polygons ovelapping with landuse tags, or
a multipolygon with thousand inner members producing errors in postGIS
when several inners are juxtaposed.

So we can easily combine different mapping level.

Mapnik would give different renderings, with transparency.

A way that seems good to explore...
--
FrViPofm