[Tagging] Residential gardens: deprecate leisure=garden, suggest alternative

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Mon May 23 14:13:41 BST 2011

Andrew Chadwick wrote:
>     landuse=residential
>     residential=garden

This implies that the landuse=residential tag would be used on
smale-scale structures, which I believe should not be done. landuses are
large-scale areas. When you create a landuse polygon for an individual
building or garden, you are doing something wrong, imo.

A residential garden is not a residential area. It is, however, found
*within* a residential area. Therefore, it should be mapped as an area
within another area tagged as landuse=residential, and should not itself
be tagged as landuse=residential.
Look at buildings for an analogy: We don't tag residential buildings as
landuse=residential + residential=building, but as building polygons
*within* a residential area.

> Rendering residential gardens in the same colours
> as surrounding residential landuse that -isn't- gardens both looks
> prettier when the renderer doesn't do anything special to support
> residential gardens

The same effect can be achieved if residential gardens are not rendered
at all, and the residential landuse that contains the gardens is
rendered as usual.

-- Tobias Knerr