[Tagging] Residential gardens: deprecate leisure=garden, suggest alternative

Andrew Chadwick (lists) a.t.chadwick+lists at gmail.com
Tue May 24 11:23:19 BST 2011

On 24/05/11 10:57, Vincent Pottier wrote:

> I'd rather use the residential=garden as it may start a set of values to
> describe sub-polygons in a landuse residential.
> here http://osm.org/go/0CUOvbQ1-- is a suburb I would improve, there are
> grass areas, parkings between buildings.

You have landuse=grass and amenity=parking|access=private already.

(I know the latter scheme sucks for precisely the same reason I'm going
on about upthread, but it has its own rendering in Mapnik right now.
Presumably its simplicity and obviousness outweighed its wrongness back
then.)

> The fact of having a main landuse=residential ans sub residential=*
> (and, why not, residential=parking that is not a public parking, and in
> the same way we could have a industrial=parking that is only for the
> workers of the company or for visitors) would permit this improvement.

It looks like not tarbabying this thread's garden-related proposal in
with a pile of residential-landuse refinement tags is going to be least
controversial. There's a need to address the meanings of overlapping
landuses or possibly even areas generally that I don't really wish to
address in something as simple as a rewording of the docs for gardens.

But that said, perhaps a second proposal for residential-landuse
refinement tags would make sense elsewhere. landuse=residential combined
with residential=gardens - note the plural - might be sensible if it
were proposed as part of it.

(Plus I like the idea of defanging the great over-general bear of
amenity=*, but that's even more of a side-issue!)

--
Andrew Chadwick