[Tagging] Residential gardens: deprecate leisure=garden, suggest alternative

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Tue May 24 15:21:04 BST 2011

On 24 May 2011 20:23, Andrew Chadwick (lists)
<a.t.chadwick+lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a need to address the meanings of overlapping
> landuses or possibly even areas generally that I don't really wish to
> address in something as simple as a rewording of the docs for gardens.

There's not nearly as many overlapping cases as you might think, once
you realise the fact that many of the landuse=* tags are not really
landuse. They're landcover, instead. Landuse is what an area is used
for, landcover is what is actually on it.  Landuse tags are things
like commercial, residential, park, school, etc - and usually cover
larger areas.  Landcover type tags are things that are actually on the
land - gardens, roads, ponds, grass, parking, buildings, etc - not
what the area as a whole is used for. It's unusual for two landuse or
two landcover tags to overlap. The more usual case is one large
landuse type area with many smaller landcover areas inside it.

The fact that many landcover tags come in the form landuse= is
confusing, and has been discussed before.

Stephen