[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - leisure=disc_golf_course

Johan Jönsson johan.j at goteborg.cc
Sun Nov 6 12:10:15 GMT 2011

Tobias Johansson <tj at ...> writes:

> 2011/11/5 Ferenc Veres <lion at ...>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 2011.11.05. 2:28 keltezéssel, Josh Doe írta:
> >> Did I miss a link? I assume it's this one:
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disc_golf_course
> >>
> >> Then there's this one:
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/disc_golf
> >
> > You need to decide whether it's a physical property of the course, or
> > it's the sport itself.
> >
> > Physical properties like "being a track" or "being a pitch" are coded
> > into the leisure value. Played sports are coded into the sport value.
> >
> > E.g. leisure=pitch  sport=basketball
> >
> > I don't know this sport:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf
> >
> > The area where it is played does not seem similar to a golf_course from
> > these photos. It has no holes, it has no ball, it has no club (
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_club ), so I cannot see anything
> > common with golf_course.
> >
> > leisure=miniature_golf was also added as separate leisure value, while
> > it uses the 3 main equipment of normal golf: club, ball, holes. Only the
> > course is different, very much different. So this tagging is reasonable,
> > as it refers to the physical area where the sport is played.
> >
> > Unless you can invent a general "leisure" value that could cover more
> > sports which are played on SIMILAR courses, a new leisure value is OK in
> > my opinion.
> >
> > Ferenc
>
> Hello
>
> Yes sorry missed the link, the one I was "promoting" is
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disc_golf_course but I believe that
> "sport=disc_golf" also would be good. I am after the physical tag.
> Disc golf is similar in many respects to golf. A course is often 9 or
> 18 "holes". I atleast use the word "holes" in disc golf (maybee
> because I play "real" golf too) even if the "holes" are baskets. There
> is also a tee just as in golf. Yes you do not use a club and ball but
> instead an arm and a disc (frisbee) but the idea is the same. Get the
> object into the "hole" in as few tries as possible.
>
> Best Regards Tobias

It will be nice with a physical tag for the place to play disc_golf.

As the course it self probably could be found in a larger wood or park without
any clear boundaries of where the course are it is probably best not to try to
mark a whole area.

The "holes" (the way between the tee and hole) are visible because of the wear
and probably some kind of managed nature. Parts of the scheme proposed in
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Golf_course would work to
map the holes.

The whole establishment, the court, could be tagged by using a relation between
all the holes. This relation could hold all the information on name,
phone-number, organization, number of holes etc. I doubt if that is going to get
rendered on thee maps anytime soon though. The old-school solution is to tag a
single node with all that info, if there is a suggestion on a nifty icon this
node should start to show up on the maps soon enough.

And I think there will be less trouble with a separate:
leisure=disc_golf_course, as the tag leisure=golf_course is very much associated
with traditional club_and_ball_golf and I do not think we will see much of dual
disc/club use of the courts (as one could in e.g. a football pitch).

/Johan Jönsson