[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - leisure=disc_golf_course

Tobias Johansson tj at mensa.se
Sat Nov 5 14:38:56 GMT 2011

2011/11/5 Ferenc Veres <lion at netngine.hu>:
> Hi,
>
> 2011.11.05. 2:28 keltezéssel, Josh Doe írta:
>> Did I miss a link? I assume it's this one:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disc_golf_course
>>
>> Then there's this one:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/disc_golf
>
> You need to decide whether it's a physical property of the course, or
> it's the sport itself.
>
> Physical properties like "being a track" or "being a pitch" are coded
> into the leisure value. Played sports are coded into the sport value.
>
> E.g. leisure=pitch  sport=basketball
>
> I don't know this sport:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf
>
> The area where it is played does not seem similar to a golf_course from
> these photos. It has no holes, it has no ball, it has no club (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_club ), so I cannot see anything
> common with golf_course.
>
> leisure=miniature_golf was also added as separate leisure value, while
> it uses the 3 main equipment of normal golf: club, ball, holes. Only the
> course is different, very much different. So this tagging is reasonable,
> as it refers to the physical area where the sport is played.
>
> Unless you can invent a general "leisure" value that could cover more
> sports which are played on SIMILAR courses, a new leisure value is OK in
> my opinion.
>
> Ferenc
>
> --
> Ferenc Veres
> http://www.wpsnet.com
>
> To send GPG encrypted message please use this key
> http://lion.xaraya.hu/images/ferenc_veres_gpg.txt
> and a program like this:  http://www.gpg4win.org/

Hello

Yes sorry missed the link, the one I was "promoting" is
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disc_golf_course but I believe that
"sport=disc_golf" also would be good. I am after the physical tag.
Disc golf is similar in many respects to golf. A course is often 9 or
18 "holes". I atleast use the word "holes" in disc golf (maybee
because I play "real" golf too) even if the "holes" are baskets. There
is also a tee just as in golf. Yes you do not use a club and ball but
instead an arm and a disc (frisbee) but the idea is the same. Get the
object into the "hole" in as few tries as possible.

Best Regards Tobias