[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - second_hand shops

Laurence Penney lorp at lorp.org
Sun Nov 6 23:24:11 GMT 2011

Sorry to be late chiming in.

About a year ago Sean Horgan, Craig Wallace and I thrashed out some ideas for charity shops. It just seemed wrong not to tag an Oxfam bookshop as shop=books! The discussion was fruitful although, reprehensibly, we didn't put anything in the wiki.

I think Craig's proposal for Oxfam bookshops was the best:

shop=books
operator=Oxfam
operator:type=charity

If you click previous and next message from here you'll get the idea...

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2010-December/005982.html

It now seems a good idea to add second_hand=only to the Oxfam bookshop tags.

We did in fact suggest that shop=second_hand would be fine for a general second-hand shop, such as Cash Converters (if you ignore their other roles), or even for a non-specialized charity shop. What else should one put? shop=stuff? Note that shop=charity continues to do the job in practice - in the UK at least it's pretty clear what it means, though some charity-run bookshops and clothes shops will attract the tag too.
Taginfo stats:

shop=charity 660
shop=thrift 75
shop=second_hand 693