[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - second_hand shops

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Mon Nov 7 14:02:47 GMT 2011

Hi,

2011.11.07. 0:24 keltezéssel, Laurence Penney írta:
> About a year ago Sean Horgan, Craig Wallace and I thrashed out some
> ideas for charity shops. It just seemed wrong not to tag an Oxfam
> bookshop as shop=books! The discussion was fruitful although,
> reprehensibly, we didn't put anything in the wiki.
>
> shop=books operator=Oxfam operator:type=charity

I added this to the Talk page at least, because I find this idea important.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:operator#operator:type

(I don't know how changes are added to approved features' pages afterwards.)

> If you click previous and next message from here you'll get the
> idea...
>
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2010-December/005982.html

Yes, I saw this mail while finding info about second_hand, but I thought
it's simply a shop=charity at the end.

If shop is charity based, but sells only one product, that should be
marked with your scheme I think. Should we add this to the Wiki page:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dcharity

>  It now seems a good idea to add second_hand=only to the Oxfam
> bookshop tags.

Yes, especially because you marked them shop=books, which is right in my
opinion too.

> We did in fact suggest that shop=second_hand would be fine for a
> general second-hand shop, such as Cash Converters (if you ignore
> their other roles), or even for a non-specialized charity shop. What
> else should one put? shop=stuff? Note that shop=charity continues to
> do the job in practice - in the UK at least it's pretty clear what it
> means, though some charity-run bookshops and clothes shops will
> attract the tag too. Taginfo stats:
>
> shop=charity 660
> shop=thrift 75
> shop=second_hand 693
> operator:type=cooperative 3

Does that mean "all kind of stuff?"   (shop=charity)

It can be useful, if the shop is not specialized in one product.

thrift - is that 100% equal to charity? Maybe you could fix them, by
downloading from xapi. :-)

But in this case:

>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Second_Hand_Shops

my proposal lacks those shops where all kind of stuff is sold, that is
second_hand. (and non-charity) (Or least "various stuff".)

This could be represented by "shop=second_hand", but we must make sure
people understands this is for "various goods" ONLY.  Which is already
reflected by http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dsecond_hand
but existing tagging didn't follow this.

Any better ideas?

(If no better ideas, then shop=second_hand will stay in use for "all
kind of stuff" shops, thus making already mistagged clothes and book
shops an "all kind of shop", but those can be fixed later. But this may
ask for confusion... while a new tag like

shop=various

would not.)

Thanks for your feedback,
Ferenc