[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - second_hand shops

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:44:16 GMT 2011

2011/11/7 Ferenc Veres <lion at netngine.hu>:
> 2011.11.07. 0:24 keltezéssel, Laurence Penney írta:
>> About a year ago Sean Horgan, Craig Wallace and I thrashed out some
>> ideas for charity shops. It just seemed wrong not to tag an Oxfam
>> bookshop as shop=books! The discussion was fruitful although,
>> reprehensibly, we didn't put anything in the wiki.
>>
>> shop=books operator=Oxfam operator:type=charity
>
> I added this to the Talk page at least, because I find this idea important.

I also think that we could need some classes for operators (maybe even
subclasses, think of government, we'd tag operator:type=government and
then subtag again which kind of entity it is).

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:operator#operator:type
> (I don't know how changes are added to approved features' pages afterwards.)

someone hits the "edit" button, modifies the page and hits OK ;-) You
should only do this if the tag is widely in use and the given
definition mostly undisputed (e.g. by announcing here and waiting some
time to see what others think, before modifying the page).

Btw.: the key is already in use, but nobody in the whole world so far
used the value "charity", that's the actual usage:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/operator%3Atype#values

btw2: Please do not encourage the use of abbreviations, if you are to
add more suggested values to the wiki (IMHO we should set up a
distinct key-page for "operator:type" with some suggested values). cbo
for instance can mean anything from Central Boycott Office (a
specialized agency of the Arab League based out of Damascus) to
Congressional Budget Office, but here maybe the intended meaning is
Community Based Organization.

cheers,
Martin