[Tagging] Feature proposal - RFC - natural=ridge

Michael Krämer ohrosm at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 8 13:35:15 GMT 2011

2011/11/8 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> I am not sure for the wording though. Isn't this an edge? Maybe I am
> confused, because wikipedia "told" me that a ridge would be a natural
> feature (your proposal doesn't give any definition what a ridge is)
> occuring at a _chain of mountains_ (but in the osm wiki you also speak
> about hills) while for shorter places I found
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ar%C3%AAte (french words do IMHO not
> really make sense) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spur_(topography),
> "crest" and "edge" (could also be that interlanguage links are not
> precise, I am mostly referring to the difference between
> de:"Gebirgskamm" and de:"Grat").

Looking at Wikipedia I can follow your point. But I think this is more due
the language links. I think "ridge" is the common term which encompasses
both German terms "Grat" and "Gebirgskamm". Here some articles from
Wikipedia that should show their common use:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crib_Goch - especially legend of map
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Everest#Southeast_ridge

Also interesting is the definition of Arête as a kind of ridge in
Merriam-Webster: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arete

Is this all the same? Shall we distinct between them?

Basically I think we shouldn't.

> I think due to the various words in use for features of this kind a
> definition should be given and alternatives proposed for features that
> are close but excluded by this definition.

This would definetly help - especially for us Germans trying to understand
the difference :-) Here a picture of what I personally would consider a
ridge: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Herzogstand_HQ.jpg

Michael