[Tagging] Tag desired for "maintenance"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 13:05:16 GMT 2011

2011/11/14 Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>:
> I'd like to use a tag to flag if a particular bit of infrastructure is
> broken.
>
> See also:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Drinking_water_attributes
>
> I've heard arguments against "condition" and "repair".
>
> The goal of the tag is to eventually enable feedback on mobile clients,
> and then forward repair reports back to authorities via Open 311.
>
> What tag would you suggest?

I am overall in favour of this proposal, but I think some things
should be expanded.

* the "maintenance" key is not clear to me. You propose the values:
ok, needs_repair, broken

what is the difference between "broken" and "needs_repair"? Is
"maintenance=OK" really unambigous? I guess the idea is to distinguish
between: no problem, problems but still usable and problems and not
usable, right? A way of dealing with this could be to split this in 2
keys: disused=yes/no (for: is it working?) and repair_needed=yes/no.

* Another issue I found is the suggested "level":
you state: "Fountains with a level= tag will imply indoor=yes." but
there can also be (in urban environments) different levels in outdoor
areas.
I'd prefer a distinct tag for indoors (e.g. indoor=yes).

* you seem to limit this to amenity=drinking_water, but there is also
amenity=fountain (drinking_water=yes) with which could be dealt
similarly.

* the suggested taste-key does not seem appropriate to me, but maybe
others would love to tag this (and it doesn't seem to "harm").

* maybe you can add a key to describe the kind of water? In areas with
mineral ("healthy") water (e.g. containing lots of sulfur) sometimes
the local authorities set up drinking water fountains with this water
(which has some effects on the human metabolism, e.g. drinking too
much might lead to temporal diarrhoea).

cheers,
Martin