[Tagging] Tag desired for "maintenance"

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Tue Nov 15 06:33:33 GMT 2011

> 2011/11/14 Bryce Nesbitt<bryce2 at obviously.com>:
>> I'd like to use a tag to flag if a particular bit of infrastructure is
>> broken.
>
> I am overall in favour of this proposal, but I think some things
> should be expanded.
>
> * the "maintenance" key is not clear to me. You propose the values:
> ok, needs_repair, broken
>
> what is the difference between "broken" and "needs_repair"? Is
> "maintenance=OK" really unambigous? I guess the idea is to distinguish
> between: no problem, problems but still usable and problems and not
> usable, right? A way of dealing with this could be to split this in 2
> keys: disused=yes/no (for: is it working?) and repair_needed=yes/no.

I'm not fully happy with this proposal, especially since it has such
wide applicability to many other osm tags.  Here is how I see it:

maintenance:ok            = no reasonable person would think anything is
out of order
maintenance:broken    = the basic function of the facility is impaired
maintenance:needs_repair   = the basic function is impaired: water may
dribble out,
                             the toilet may rock.  But you can get your
job done.

maintenance:detail = A text description meant for the person who needs
to fix it (e.g. "hornet nest in upper left corner of restroom").

In your proposal what would this mean:
     disused=yes
     repair_needed=no

> * the suggested taste-key does not seem appropriate to me, but
> maybeothers would love to tag this (and it doesn't seem to "harm").

Think of it as a note to the next person.  If you tasted water at a
particularly metallic source,
or particularly bubbly source, might you want to pass on your
observation to the next person?