[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Proposed features/entrance/indoor-usage

Andreas Balzer email at andreas-balzer.de
Thu Nov 17 08:46:19 GMT 2011

Hello Peter,thank you for your comment.Indeed it seems to be quite difficult to achieve indoor mapping with OSM and JOSM at this moment. However there's currently a great deal of research being invested by universities on this topic. Our university (TU München) had several bachelor theses on the topic and our computer science department got mapped to some degree in multiple layers (see http://www.openstreetmap.org/?minlon=11.6665525436401&minlat=48.2617683410645&maxlon=11.6693410873413&maxlat=48.2632865905762). Me and three other master students got asked by our university to create a prototype routing application for Windows Phone as part of Imagine Cup. We are currently getting support by Microsoft and several local public transport organizations to connect valuable data into the prototype. I think when it's possible to prove that there is demand - by endusers and companies, more OSM users get interested in mapping buildings in their environment. Having a standard at that point in time will be crucial. There's already a lot going on with staircases, layers and certain elements on these layers. However there is nothing yet on doors and the mentioned feature proposal seems to fit naturally in there. I have been reading into OSM now for two days so I barely scratched the surface but I guess a CS graphics chair could add 3d plugins to JOSM to enable layered mapping. Do you know of anything in that direction?  Andreas