[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Proposed features/entrance/indoor-usage

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Nov 17 09:09:48 GMT 2011

Hi again
Btw: feel invited to the osm IRC channel (#osm or - if you want, #osm-de
on irc.oftc.net) to discuss these "live".
We have some people here at the University of Paderborn who want to do
indoor mapping, too, and I myself work since nearly two yeary on
navigation for blind people (which requires mapping in detail), so I
know something about the problems ;)

Of course it would be possible to extend JOSM and other editors - but I
don't know of anybody seriously working on that in an extend useable for
current approaches.
As far as I can see, the tagging proposals are much faster appearing
than the tools support.

Most often the proposing parties (you? ;) ) do not support the tools
coding, so we have a lack of tools and more and more proposals, that get
unhandy because of increasing complexity to map that way with the
availlable editor software.

(note: additional comments between your lines!)

Am 17.11.2011 09:46, schrieb Andreas Balzer:
> However there's currently a great deal of research being invested by
> universities on this topic.
The problem with research projects of universities most often is, that
software has to be maintained and kept alive.
That may be the case sometimes, but often it isn't and these efforts die
together with the financial support of the one research project.
Research is a big deal for theorists that want to read the papers later,
and for the involved people.
Be careful to rely on research projects for practical use too much - or
too early.
> Our university (TU München) had several bachelor theses on the topic
> and our computer science department got mapped to some degree in
> multiple layers (see
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?minlon=11.6665525436401&minlat=48.2617683410645&maxlon=11.6693410873413&maxlat=48.2632865905762
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?minlon=11.6665525436401&minlat=48.2617683410645&maxlon=11.6693410873413&maxlat=48.2632865905762>).
well...
I think, I would like to discuss that live, if possible. ;)

> Me and three other master students got asked by our university to
> create a prototype routing application for Windows Phone as part of
> Imagine Cup. We are currently getting support by Microsoft and several
> local public transport organizations to connect valuable data into the
> prototype.
Sounds great. As I said here in Paderborn a similar project is going on
as far as I know - contact me privately to get more details, if you want.
> I think when it's possible to prove that there is demand - by endusers
> and companies, more OSM users get interested in mapping buildings in
> their environment. Having a standard at that point in time will be
> crucial. There's already a lot going on with staircases, layers and
> certain elements on these layers. However there is nothing yet on
> doors and the mentioned feature proposal seems to fit naturally in there.
>
> I have been reading into OSM now for two days so I barely scratched
> the surface but I guess a CS graphics chair could add 3d plugins to
> JOSM to enable layered mapping. Do you know of anything in that
> direction?
I don't know anything about it.
But the problem is not only coding the initial plugin. There are lots of
plugins for JOSM, that die because of nobody maintaining them, and
that's a problem you cannot solve by universities, I fear.

regards
Peter

P.S.: As said, you are invited to IRC, or you can contact me directly
via Jabber/XMPP (jongleur at jabber.ccc.de) or ICQ (141571821)