[Tagging] RFC: highway=tidal_road

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Nov 22 20:33:54 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 11/22/2011 09:17 PM, Colin Smale wrote:
> Surely the road in this case simply has tide-related opening times (and
> a variable surface?). It may be secondary, tertiary, unclassified or
> whatever. The fact that it is sometimes closed by the tide should be
> tagged separately from the type of road.

No. This proposal is not about normal roads that may be open or closed
depending on the tide. This is about unsurfaced paths which are always
physically accessible (i.e. never "closed"), but will be flooded at high
tide; using them without knowing that that they become flooded may cost
your life.

Because the OSM ecosystem is full of software that goes "ah,
highway=footway, I'll use that and oh, look, there are some extra tags
that I don't understand, I'll just ignore them" it would be dangerous to
tag such a way with a normal "highway" value.

Bye
Frederik