[Tagging] RFC: highway=tidal_road

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 22 20:48:29 GMT 2011

On 22/11/2011 21:33, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/22/2011 09:17 PM, Colin Smale wrote:
>> Surely the road in this case simply has tide-related opening times (and
>> a variable surface?). It may be secondary, tertiary, unclassified or
>> whatever. The fact that it is sometimes closed by the tide should be
>> tagged separately from the type of road.
>
> No. This proposal is not about normal roads that may be open or closed
> depending on the tide. This is about unsurfaced paths which are always
> physically accessible (i.e. never "closed"), but will be flooded at
> high tide; using them without knowing that that they become flooded
> may cost your life.

When you say "No", don't you mean "Yes"? Not sure if you are responding
to the original post, or to my reaction. All it says on the proposal
page is "A road that gets tidally flooded" . Where do you get your
assumptions from about it being an unsurfaced path?

The scenario I had in mind was the Lindisfarne Causeway in northern
England.This is never "closed", but is flooded at high tide. Many people
are rescued every year because they don't heed the warnings. Doesn't
that fit your description? Check this: http://g.co/maps/f74xb

Colin