[Tagging] RFC: highway=tidal_road

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 23 12:48:31 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 11/22/11 21:48, Colin Smale wrote:
>>> Surely the road in this case simply has tide-related opening times (and
>>> a variable surface?). It may be secondary, tertiary, unclassified or
>>> whatever. The fact that it is sometimes closed by the tide should be
>>> tagged separately from the type of road.

>> No.

> When you say "No", don't you mean "Yes"?

I meant: "No, the fact that it is sometimes closed by the tide should
not be tagged separately from the type of road, because I am not talking
about something that is 'basically a normal road just with an extra
property'; I am talking about something that is not a normal road."

> Where do you get your
> assumptions from about it being an unsurfaced path?

I see - I had this in mind:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tidalflat_path

which refers to a certain type of path we have in Germany in the North
Sea, where you basically walk on the (more or less) dry seabed.

> The scenario I had in mind was the Lindisfarne Causeway in northern
> England.This is never "closed", but is flooded at high tide. Many people
> are rescued every year because they don't heed the warnings. Doesn't
> that fit your description?

Somewhat; I mis-interpreted your "closed" as if there was a gate or door
somehow, when you probably just meant closed by being flooded.

In a way, the Lindisfarne Causeway looks like a normal road with just a
few extra signs. OTOH the paths mentioned in the tidalflat_path proposal
probably don't have that many signs...

Bye
Frederik