[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Turn Lanes

Ilya Zverev zverik at textual.ru
Thu Oct 6 09:52:04 BST 2011

> e.g. trunk_turnlanes:left:forward=1 meaning that from this point we
> have
> a left turning lane till the next intersection with a trunk highway
> ('forward' or 'backward' being relative to the osm way direction as
> usual).

So, are you suggesting to use :forward/backward on nodes? I don't think
that would go well. It is worse that using relations, since the node is
implicitly related with a) direction of a way; b) the fact that way is
not split at that point; c) the highway tag value of some other way far
ahead.

> As a result, we just add a node for a minor information and do not
> damage the existing highways.

The big problem is that mappers think splitting ways is damaging them.
Why?

Also, on such level of micromapping (turning lanes are usually several
meters in length) I guess it is acceptable to work with small ways and
split them whenever neccessary.

IZ