[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Turn Lanes

Ilya Zverev zverik at textual.ru
Thu Oct 6 10:28:47 BST 2011

Peter Wendorff wrote:
> Some remarks have been mentioned here already, why this proposal is
> not
> well designed.
> Another one is, that it's tackling the lanes-problem, but not solving
> it.
> You propose something for turning lanes - but again restrict it to
> cars.

It was not my decision, but was the outcome of a recent discussion in
this very list:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2011-September/thread.html#8532

Proposed taging scheme just refines lanes tag value, not touching other
proposed and approved features.

> To go a little step further, it's even worse for
> sidewalks/footpaths/pavements, which are unsolved wether to tag as
> separate lanes, tags at the street way or whatever.

I guess you should discuss that on the corresponding proposals pages,
for example,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Advanced_footway_and_cycleway

My opinion is that all sidewalks, cycleways and whatever should be
drawn as separate ways.

> I don't think, these unfinished proposals are a good idea in this
> case,
> as long as they don't solve the multi-lane problem in general (or are
> at

I don't think it's possible to solve all multi-lane problems, both
encountered and imaginary. And it's certainly not possible to make that
solution simple enough for potlatch users, for example. I took a part of
that problem that I could deal with, and formed a proposal. It is not
finished, because it's in RFC stage. But it's close enough.

IZ