[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Turn Lanes

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:40:32 BST 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Ilpo Järvinen
<ilpo.jarvinen at helsinki.fi> wrote:
> however, it should not be solved using some data klugde but
> making the tasks you mention easy to do in editors even if the ways would
> contain only two nodes each.

Making the task easier in editor does not work if your schema is
complex. You can see the current turning lane plugin on JOSM.. .
I was also thinking about a solution like yours but again, we split
ways for what I consider a minor information (turning lanes). And the
results are quicly becoming unreadable, ex.:
"lanes:directions:backward=s;s;p"

My idea is to stay simple, only for car turning lanes because most of
the contributors will not spend many time for such things (to not say
that most of the contributors do not tag lanes at all).

Complex intersections with psv or cycle lanes will need new drawings
(polylines for each lane) because the geometry is too complex and
offer too many cases for a translation into tags only.

Pieren