[Tagging] Wide steps

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Oct 7 20:01:44 BST 2011

Am 07.10.2011 20:18, schrieb David Earl:

>> The additional highway:steps would stay at separate ways "on top" of the
>> area.
>
> This shouldn't be necessary, any more than any other highway area.
> It's like putting a node for parking in the middle of a parking area.
I don't see how you are able to tag the direction (up/down) of the steps
on an area, so yes, the additional "traditional" way IS necessary.
The direction of steps is highly relevant for several reasons:
* Steps going upwards are no dangerous place for children - they cannot
fall down with their bikes etc.
* For blind people steps upwards are an obstacle easily detectable by
the blind mans stick; stairs down are more dangerous and more difficult.
* A good bicycle routing application could be configurable to allow
stairs downwards e.g. for mountain bikes, while avoiding stairs upwards,
as these are more difficult to use by bike.

regards
Peter