[Tagging] Wide steps

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 10:15:30 BST 2011

2011/10/7 David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>

> On 07/10/2011 18:13, Peter Wendorff wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure, but perhaps the area:highway-proposal [1] is useful here.
>>

> There are already numerous highway areas for things like market places and
> piazzas, but it's done as highway=x;area=yes, not with its own key. These
> are properly rendered on Mapnik (e.g.
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/27918828 ).
>
>  (I don't see any need to change this unless we adopt a proper area
> primitive).

It's a different concept. A highway=*, area=yes area is a place where people
can roam freely through the area (think of squares, mapped as
highway=pedestrian, area=yes). On the other hand, on a street you're not
supposed to drive/ride anywhere, but you have to follow the direction of
traffic.

Regards,

Simone