[Tagging] Wide steps

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 00:05:38 BST 2011

2011/10/10 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:
> I also have a proposal running for this kind of feature:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Area#area-steps

Not sure how we should proceed to keep routing working.

a) Either we'd expect software that prepares OSM-data for routing to
transform these relations automatically into a routing graph

b) or we'd map additionally highway=steps and highway=footway at the
center line for routers. We would maybe have to add those to the
relation as well and omit them when rendering (or we would tag them
with a special tag to indicate that they are represented by an area
relation as well and should not be rendered if area steps are
rendered).

c) as a variant to b) we could also use the ways with the role
"lateral" for this purpose and don't draw an extra center line.

cheers,
Martin