[Tagging] Wide steps

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 11:18:03 BST 2011

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
> Any suggestions as to how to represent some steps...
>
> These steps aren't that unusual I guess, but they aren't a staircase. They
> form the edges of a piazza-like platform, running most of the way around it.
> There are only 4 steps, but they are several of them, up to about 40m wide:

How about using a way for them (between top and bottom) and setting

 width=40m

on it?

This wouldn't give the direction of rise; perhaps any solution to that
could also be applied to the "incline" tag.
Or perhaps (if we do use a way for the steps) we could use the incline
tag on the way, and define "incline" on a node to take the values
"top" or "bottom", and use that for the top and bottom of the flight
of steps.

This probably needs the least change to routing software, too.

It wouldn't give an accurate description of tapering flights of steps,
but that could be done with several highway=steps with different
widths.

__John