[Tagging] Wide steps

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 11:39:44 BST 2011

2011/10/10 John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
>> Any suggestions as to how to represent some steps...
>>
>> These steps aren't that unusual I guess, but they aren't a staircase. They
>> form the edges of a piazza-like platform, running most of the way around it.
>> There are only 4 steps, but they are several of them, up to about 40m wide:
>
> How about using a way for them (between top and bottom) and setting
>  width=40m

besides the disadvantages you mentioned (not suitable for tapering
steps) it is also more difficult to map, because you can easily draw
outlines from aerial imagery, but you can't easily estimate the width.
It is also impossible with current mapnik to use this width directly
for rendering. And finally this is less powerful for topology: you
can't connect this way to other lateral areas (if not by a relation).
So this is indeed an option, but IMHO often (when the steps are not
symmetric) will result in very complex mapping (you have to change
width for every step and move the center line by strange angles for
every step) and less accurate topology.

cheers,
Martin