[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - entrance=*

Ilya Zverev zverik at textual.ru
Wed Oct 12 22:12:18 BST 2011

Hi. The proposal for marking building entrances with entrance=* tags
was discussed a year and a half ago, but didn't really go anywhere:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/entrance

Notice that there is a conversion mentioned in it, from deprecated
building=entrance. Yesterday there was about 4500 nodes with
entrance=yes and 1700 with other entrance values.

An hour ago there was a big changset (#9541529) from one of belarusian
mappers changing 21640 building=entrance to entrance=yes in several
countries, including Russia. This is not the first attempt, and I'm
undoing it now. The mappers behind this changeset say that entrance=yes
is better, and entrances are not building. Whether this is relevant is
disputable, but there are more that 150 000 tags "building=entrance" in
the database, and converting them all is a big change. Also, then it
will look as the proposal was approved, though it's not.

So, to decide whether entrance=yes should replace building=entrance, I
revived that proposal and moved it to the voting stage. Since there is
such need to suddenly replace tags, I guess it doesn't need more
discussion.

IZ