[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - entrance=*

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 23:54:26 BST 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Ilya Zverev <zverik at textual.ru> wrote:
>> Hi. The proposal for marking building entrances with entrance=* tags was
>> discussed a year and a half ago, but didn't really go anywhere:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/entrance
>>
>> An hour ago there was a big changset (#9541529) from one of belarusian
>> mappers changing 21640 building=entrance to entrance=yes in several
>> countries
>
> At last! Someone is actually doing something about that shitty tag, I
> support the intent of #9541529, is there really any reason to revert
> those edits, aren't we better of without building=entrance? I really
> hope that DWG can be kept out of this.
>
> Further I would like to propose railway=subway_entrance =>
> entrance=public_transport, since it's probably interesting to have on
> bus/boat/rail terminals as well, now this is a bit more tricky since
> it already renders.

I like this proposal as well. It allows for more expression in a
single tag and unties the concept of an entrance from a building. But
at the same time, the changeset was a bit premature. As was noted
earlier, this new tag can live along side the old one for now. At some
point I would probably support an automated retagging/removal of the
old one but not yet.

Toby