[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Turn Lanes

Ilya Zverev zverik at textual.ru
Tue Oct 18 15:06:14 BST 2011

bkmap:
> It is not too late to change this. We must change about 11+2+7=20
> tags worldwide if we consider to modify the notation of the
> lanes:*:tag.

I'm strictly against global retagging. And it's impossible to
unambigously resolve number of lanes to lane numbers in most of those
cases.

> Using verbal values like left and right (except turn...) is IMO more
> fault-prone than defined lane numbers. We need anyway suitable editor
> tools for lanes.

Actually, this proposal was designed with the aim of not requiring
special editors or plugins to mark turn lanes...

> It leaves open too many issues which could appear later: How to tag
> the lane width, different surfaces and restrictions like  forbidden
> lane change? How the data consumer knows, how the lanes of the  road
> segments are connected together? And so on...

...and obviously, this implies some restrictions on tagging scheme:
it's unpractical to add information for every lane into tags: there
would be too many tags for each road segment. So in the proposal there
are no properties for separate lanes: this can be impoved later,
possibly with relations. For example, Tordanik is drafting out
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Lanes_as_Relations
with exactly those points in mind.

IZ