[Tagging] RFC: place=neighbourhood

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 02:27:08 BST 2011

Brad,

Where I live, suburbs are well known, have fixed borders (though they
can be and are sometimes adjusted), and are part of your address
according to the post office and local government. They are part of a
larger residential area, which may be a city or  town. Villages don't
have multiple suburbs, though by some definitions you could say they
have one. Where I live, the local government area has maybe 25-30
suburbs in it.

Neighbourhoods are named areas of a larger place that are not suburbs.
 They are smaller (usually - not always), may not always be in one
suburb (they can straddle boundaries), and are names that are not
given by official organisations, but are known to locals and may be
searched for.

For example, I used to live near a housing subdivision on a hundred or
so acres of land.  It's part of a larger suburb, but all the locals
know that area as Oak Grove, which is what the farm and then the
housing development was called. The subdivision was finished 15+ years
ago, but there's still a sign that says Oak Grove where the main
entrance used to be, and people talk about it as a place.  It's not an
official suburb, and if you addressed a letter to 1 Smith St, Oak
Grove I have no idea where it would end up, but it is a place name
that would be useful on the map, and to be able to search for.

Stephen