[Tagging] Use of place=suburb (was Re: RFC: place=neighbourhood)

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 03:09:11 BST 2011

In Australia (and New Zealand) a suburb is a named, legally defined
area that is part of your address. It is usually (always?) smaller
than a local government area (My local government, Moreton Bay Shire,
has 25-30 suburbs, could be more). The borders are routinely shown on
street maps, or the names shown at the very least.  Out in smaller
towns and villages, the whole place would be one suburb, and we
generally wouldn't use the term, it's usually only used when a place
is big enough to have two or more. In large urban areas, a suburb is
usually only a few km/miles across, sometimes less.

If I talked about "the suburbs" it would be taken to mean "the area
outside the city centre", but even the city centre is one or more
suburbs. The suburb at the centre of the city of Brisbane is called
Brisbane City, for example.  It gets confusing, so we generally talk
about the CBD (Central Business District) or city centre instead in
everyday talk, but it is still a suburb.

It makes for hard searching.  If I say a place is in Brisbane, I could
mean the suburb of the city centre, or the Local Government area "City
of Brisbane" (about 1 million people) or the larger contiguous urban
area that Brisbane has grown out to and swallowed up (2 million or
so).

Stephen