[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 10:57:15 BST 2011

2011/8/31 Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>:
> On 08/31/2011 02:40 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2011/8/31 Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>:
> I'm a city dweller. We have some (and will soon have some very prominent)
> rooftop parks.
>> That's fine, you can tag them with leisure=park (or maybe
>> leisure=garden, and garden:type)
> It was a stacking comment.  The renderers seem to implicitly stack buildings
> on top
> of land use, so it won't created the desired results.
> The question is: should it be sufficient to imply that a landuse polygon
> wholly inside of another land use polygon belongs "on top"? Or is it really
> necessary to cut a hole in the outer polygon?

IMHO there is no "landuse" inside another landuse (at least for the
"true" landuses which are the landuses by man. If we use
landuse=forest to indicate trees they might also be stacked). A
rooftop park IMHO is not about landuse but is a part of the building.
Landuse is about the use of _land_ (and therefore is at ground level).
You should not cut a hole in the outer polygon because if the garden
on top of the building influences the landuse it will influence it for
the whole plot.

cheers,
Martin