[Tagging] RFC: place=neighbourhood

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Sep 1 03:20:59 BST 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 21:41 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On 8/31/2011 9:27 PM, Stephen Hope wrote:
> > Brad,
> >
> > Where I live, suburbs are well known, have fixed borders (though they
> > can be and are sometimes adjusted), and are part of your address
> > according to the post office and local government.
>
> In the US, the problem is that address place names depend on which post
> office serves the area, and there is no freely available accurate data
> showing this. Many suburban areas outside Orlando city limits have
> Orlando in the address, and there are some cases where a place in city A
> uses an address that is not city A.

Then there's some parts of the country where what the post office
considers to be "in" a particular town is larger than half of the
states, which is common in Oklahoma.  The tiny historic Talihina, OK
post office has the longest mail routes in the continental US, which is
about the only thing that's keeping the small, rural Indian reservation
post office in the Ouachita Mountains open.  Drove mail from Tulsa to
that town for a few weeks last summer.