[Tagging] A name for stony ground?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 11:15:36 BST 2011

2011/9/1 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>:
> On 8/31/2011 1:50 PM, Johan Jönsson wrote:
>>
>> A name to use for tagging stony ground.
>> I am looking for a denomination to use for an area that have little or no
>> vegetation so that the stony ground shows. Could there be a tag describing
>> everything from coarse gravel, boulders, scree to exposed bedrock.
>
> We have a tag for scree:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dscree

Yes, but reading the definition scree seems to be about loose
rock/stones. The OP seemed to be interested in a generic tag also for
bare upperlying rock. The possible use of "scree" seems to be reduced
to mountainous regions. Given my personal interpretation of "natural"
that those describe topographic features I'd interpret the tag
"natural=scree" as a field of scree.

When tagging a landcover I would make a distinction between coarse
gravel and solid rock.

cheers,
Martin