[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 10:45:43 BST 2011

2011/9/3 Johan Jönsson <johan.j at goteborg.cc>:

> +1 for using one tag for the whole forested area.
> Maybe something along the scheme of natural=wetland, wetland= {more detailed
> desc.} Maybe natural=woodland?

no, woodland is an area with less dense trees then in a forest (it is
a special ecological type):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodland

I'd rather use the distinction natural (topographical feature),
landuse (actual use of land) and landcover (actual physical coverage).
The value for a forest could be "forest" (for landcover I used to use
"trees"). In further iterations we might want to distinguish different
types of forests with subtags (there is already some like
type=coniferous/broad_leafed/palm/mixed and
wood=deciduous/evergreen/shrubs/mixed but this doesn't yet give good
criteria for distinguishing e.g. the Brasilian rain forest from a
central European mixed forest).

cheers,
Martin